Tuesday, November 12, 2013

New City, New Friends

We left Pasto early Sunday morning.  It was a little like leaving family.  Patrice doesn't serve breakfast until 9am on Sundays but he got up early and the guys were ready to cook for us at 7:30am.  We miss them all already.  We were so very blessed that God led us there.  I don't know what we would have done or how we would have managed without Patrice and the guys.  Amazingly, I have done pretty well with the morning business, both on the day we went to Las Lajas and Sunday as well.  I think it's because I'm a little overwhelmed with the idea of getting out the door with six kids so I plan better and procrastinate less.






 I started packing on Friday night.  We found out that there was a classical guitar series going on in Pasto last week... we found out because all the guitarists were staying in the hotel.  Since that's what Connor does we really wanted to go.  It was a difficult decision and Ken and I waffled several times on to go, to not go, what to do.  We typically do everything together as a family.  We decided to split up and give the big four kids a choice as to whether or not they wanted to go.  Two of them said yes, two said no.  When those two found out that the contingent that stayed at the hotel would be going to bed, they decided to go.  Anyway, Ken took them and I stayed with Yuli and John.  I got them to bed and then started packing.  This was Friday.  I never pack this far in advance.  By the time I went to bed, enough stuff was packed that we needed to keep the kids at the park all day to keep them from unpacking.  It worked well.

We had to take two taxi's to the airport.  I was dreading this trip.  Since we didn't book until Friday afternoon, we couldn't get a direct flight.  I was very stressed.  I was afraid we'd lose someone in the airport(s), I was afraid one of them would twig on the plane, I was afraid our luggage would get lost, I was afraid that one of the girls would have a fit and security wouldn't let us on the plane.  Praise God, none of the above happened.  It all went really well.  All the kids did great.  Everything went very smoothly.  Again, praise God.



When we got to our new hotel in Bogotá, we met another family from the States.  They have a 6yo boy and are here adopting a 2yo girl who coincidentally has the same name as my daughter, Diana.  I thought that they must think we're crazy until we chatted and I found out that they have three more in high school at home.  They are really great people and are here at the beginning of the process.  They're hoping to be home by Christmas so we'll be praying for them as we make our way home.  They showed us the way to a park that has some soccer fields.  Once we got there, Keith (the dad) organized a soccer game and it got really intense.  A couple of local boys joined them and they had a real game going.  We went back with them again today, this time Joshua (the son) was sporting a Colombia team shirt too.

It's nice to be with people who speak English.  As it turns out, Joshua is home schooled and that was nice too.  It's also nice to be with people who know... I mean know... what's going on and how it all works.  Unfortunately, the girls are having a difficult time with the transition.  Diana is very excited about our family (until she has to do something she doesn't want to do) but Yuli still says she's not going to the US.  It doesn't seem to matter how they outwardly feel.  Subconsciously, they feel the change coming.  Something big is happening and they are reacting to it.  It's been rough since we got to Bogotá.  They are having a really difficult time, again.  Anyway, neither Jamie (the mom) nor Keith batted an eye yesterday when Yuli pitched a fit and Ken fireman carried her all the way home.  At one point, I took her shoes off her because she was kicking him and I was sure it hurt with the shoes.  Jamie asked if I wanted them in their stroller.  She then proceeded to tell me that if any of her biological kids had done that, she would have taken them to the wall (I can't remember her words but that's the idea).  She said it's different with these kids and you have to meet them where they are.  As it turns out, they used to be foster parents so they have a lot of experience.  Anyway, it was nice to know that we weren't being judged, that they understand.






We are looking forward to going home but that means another difficult transition for the girls.  So tomorrow, we have (among other things) to take the kids for their TB test and Dr.'s appointments.  We also have to apply for their passports.    On Thursday we go back to the Dr. to have the 'results' read from the TB test.  They will probably have to have some immunizations at this point but we're not sure what yet.  If they are all negative for TB, we go to the Embassy Friday afternoon to get the Visas.  Here's hoping we're on a plane Saturday morning.  If the TB tests come back positive, we will have to have x-rays to confirm they don't have TB.  That will delay our return.  Here's praying we will be back with our church family for the next Lord's day.  I've really missed worshipping with them.

Since I hadn't posted in way too long, this post is way too long.  I'll leave you with the highlight of my day.  John has become more and more relaxed with me.  This morning we were having our meeting with Helena and Ken got up to go get more paperwork from our room.  John had been sitting with me but he jumped up to follow Ken.  I asked him if he wanted to go with Papí or stay with Mami.  He grabbed Ken's pants.  Ken scooped him up to go faster and he turned and reached for me and yelled, "Mami!"  That's the first time he chose me and the first time he called me Mami.  When it comes to adoption, like everything else, you have to roll with the punches.  You have to find the blessings in the midst of chaos... and I mean chaos.  That right there was God's gift to me, letting me know that we are doing the right thing.  We are the ones that need to raise these kids.  He knew that today was going to be a bad day and he saved that gift for that moment.  If you've ever thought about adopting but were afraid of it being too difficult, too expensive, or just too much, realize this-God will give you what you need to get through all of that if you just trust Him.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! Praying for things to continue to go smoothly. With the transition to the U.S., I know you'll have rough days ahead. I know you know it already, but you are doing an amazingly wonderful things for those kids! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete