Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks

For the past several years, I had gotten into the ritual of spending the entire month of November posting on Facebook what I was thankful for.  This year, I didn't.  I wasn't entirely in the loop when October gave way to November and I just found it difficult to get started.  However, I have a whole lot to be thankful for this year.  Not really only this year, but it seems that I'm realizing it more this year than other years.  So here's a short list of what I'm thankful for.

10.  I'm thankful for our material blessings.  I know it sounds shallow but without this house, we wouldn't have been able to bring three more kids home.  Without my van, we wouldn't have been able to travel in one car together as a family.  And then there's food.  I love food and I'm thankful that we are able to buy what we need when we need it... and for the most part what we want, too.

9.  I'm incredibly thankful for our church family, work friends, and homeschooling friends who are helping to carry us along in this rough transitional time.  They have prayed for us, given us money, encouraged us, brought us food, and have really lightened our load.  We have truly been able to concentrate on our new family because of them and there is no doubt that the prayers have gotten us through the tough days.

8.  I'm thankful for my baby boy John and that he's allowing my to have one more mamma's boy.  I'm thankful for one more go round with baby talk and sippy cups.  I love his cute little smile and the dimple right in the middle of his cheek.  I love it when he calls me Mami and clutches onto my leg when he doesn't want Daddy to take him to bed.  I love when he wraps his arms around my neck like I've always been his mommy.

7.  I'm thankful for my quiet, shy, baby girl, Yuli.  When she cuddles with you, she just sinks right into your arms and your heart.  When she is happy, she is really, really happy and she'll share it with anyone.  She loves hugs and cuddling.  She's cute as a button and has the best smile ever.  She's brave even in the face of doing something she doesn't want to do (ie. come to the US). 

6.  I'm thankful for my loud rambunctious girl, Diana.  She has a huge personality and lives life to the fullest.  She really loves her new family and is not at all shy about saying so.  Well, she's just not at all shy.  She is so very patient with me and my Spanish.  She is willing to help out when a job needs to get done and she is so very full of life.  She's a fast learner and loves playing with her big brothers.

5.  I'm thankful for my bright, loud, energizer night owl, Cody.  He is so smart it scares me sometimes.  He is very good with his little brother and is an excellent translator when it comes to Spanish.  I love to hear him singing (which he does all the time) and he is a fantastic cuddler.  He remembers everything he's ever read, seen on tv, or heard someone tell him.

4.  I'm thankful for my quiet soul son, Rylan.  He is an amazing gymnast and overall athlete.  He can be counted on when something needs to get done.  He is an amazing cook but he chops wood, too.  He is my mini-me and is the first one to know when someone is upset.  He gives the best hugs and when I wrestle with him, it has to be only him because he is about to overtake the strength I have left in this old body.

3.  I'm thankful for my dear, sweet, grown up little man, Connor.  He sometimes behaves more like a mature adult than I do.  He keeps me together when I can't find my keys or sunglasses or almost forget my water.  He herds the little ones when we're going out the door and keeps them busy when I need to get something done.  He has a very generous heart and always thinks of others first.

2.  I'm thankful for the godly man that is walking this life beside me.  I am so very blessed to have him.  He is nothing short of amazing and I have no idea what I would do without him.  Sometimes I think that God crafted him especially for me... because I'm not sure the average man could handle my mess.

1.  I'm most thankful for the sacrifice that Jesus made.  He gave up everything that was pure and holy and perfect to come down to this filthy, awful place filled with pain and suffering to die an excruciating death... for what?  For. Me.  Wow.  Every day should be a day of  thanksgiving for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment